When God Smiled: The Beautiful Surprise I Never Saw Coming
If you had asked me years ago if I believed in fairy tales, I probably would have laughed... the kind of laugh that's really just a disguise for heartbreak.
Life had taught me that love could disappoint. Promises could be broken. People could leave. My heart had become a beautiful stained-glass window that had been shattered so many times, I wasn't sure it would ever look whole again.
Then God...
Isn't that just like Him?
Just when I'd stopped expecting anything for myself, God quietly reminded me that He had never stopped writing my story.
I wasn't searching anymore. I had surrendered it all to Him. I simply prayed, "Lord, if You have someone for me, let him love You more than he loves me. If not, then help me be content in You."
And somewhere in Heaven, I imagine God smiling.
Because He already knew.
People say the stars aligned when two people meet.
I smile because I know better.
The stars didn't align...
Their Creator did.
When God brought us together, I don't believe Heaven gasped in surprise. I think Heaven celebrated a plan that had been written long before either of us knew the other existed.
Sometimes I think God looked down, smiled, and whispered,
"There they are."
Now here's the funny part...
I'm a grown woman.
A mother.
A business owner.
Responsible.
Independent.
I solve problems all day long.
Yet the moment I know he's on his way...
I become completely ridiculous.
I find myself checking my phone more often than necessary.
Listening for the knock at the door.
Glancing out the window "just for a second."
Trying very hard to look like I wasn't waiting...
Even though I absolutely was.
And then I see him.
Every.
Single.
Time.
Butterflies.
Real butterflies.
Who knew they survived adulthood?
Apparently mine were just waiting for the man God had chosen.
He smiles...
And somehow my whole day gets brighter.
He laughs...
And suddenly everything feels lighter.
He walks through the door...
And somehow the house feels more like home.
It's almost embarrassing how excited I get.
Almost.
The beautiful thing isn't that he's perfect.
Because trust me...
He's delightfully human.
We're both wonderfully, gloriously, slightly crazy.
We laugh at things no one else would understand.
We tease each other constantly.
We can turn the smallest moment into a memory.
Somehow our different kinds of crazy fit together perfectly.
Like God knew exactly what He was doing.
Actually...
Of course He did.
But what amazes me most isn't the butterflies.
It's the healing.
He never asked me to hide the pieces of me that had been broken.
He simply loved me anyway.
The woman with scars.
The woman who sometimes still fears being hurt.
The woman who still has moments when the past whispers lies.
Instead of seeing someone damaged...
He sees someone worth loving.
Piece by piece...
Day by day...
Without even realizing it...
He's helping God put my heart back together.
Not because he can heal me—only Jesus can do that.
But because God is using his kindness, patience, laughter, and steady love as part of that healing.
Every encouraging word.
Every hug.
Every prayer.
Every moment he chooses me.
Every time he reminds me that I am beautiful when I don't feel beautiful.
Every time he makes me feel safe enough to simply be myself.
It's another stitch in a heart I once thought would never heal.
Before him, I often wondered if I would ever feel accepted.
Now I know what it feels like to be loved without pretending to be someone else.
He makes me feel beautiful on the days I don't see it.
He reminds me that I'm stronger than I think I am.
He celebrates my victories.
He stands beside me through the hard days.
He laughs with me.
He prays with me.
He believes in me.
And somehow, because of the way he loves me, I find myself believing in myself a little more too.
That kind of love doesn't point people to itself.
It points people to Jesus.
Because that's exactly what godly love does.
Every day with him reminds me that God still restores what life tried to destroy.
After all the hurt...
After all the disappointment...
After all the tears...
God wasn't finished.
He was preparing.
Preparing me.
Preparing him.
Preparing a love that would remind me that His plans are always better than my fears.
So yes...
People can say the stars aligned.
But I know the truth.
The Creator of the stars smiled over us.
And I believe His smile is still over us today.
To the man who makes my heart race with one smile, who still gives me butterflies, who unknowingly helped God gather the scattered pieces of my heart, and who reminds me every day that love can be gentle, joyful, and safe...
Thank you.
And to my Heavenly Father...
Thank You for being the Author of redemption.
Thank You for restoring what I thought was beyond repair.
Thank You for proving that even after the deepest heartbreak, You still write the most beautiful love stories.
To God alone be all the glory.
Shu! Amen! 🥹❤️🙌🏿 This was so beautiful to read. God is so good!
ReplyDelete