When Christians Judge the Woman Who Survived.

There is a kind of heartbreak that changes you forever.

Not the kind that fades after a few weeks.

Not the kind people write pretty quotes about and move on from.

I mean the kind of heartbreak that lives inside your body.

The kind that makes your stomach tighten when someone raises their voice.

The kind that teaches you to stay quiet during conflict because your mind still remembers what fear felt like.

The kind that steals pieces of who you were until one day you look in the mirror and barely recognize yourself anymore.

For years, I fought for my marriage.

Not casually.

Not halfway.

I fought with everything inside me.

I was married for six years, but my husband maybe lived with me for less than two of those years because of drug addiction. And before anyone rushes to judge me, let me say this honestly: I was not innocent either. I struggled too. Addiction touched both of our lives. But somewhere along the line, God changed my heart. I chose to stop. I chose my children. I chose my business. I chose survival. I chose life.

But loving someone who refuses to heal can slowly destroy you.

People see me now and think they know my story because they see fragments of it. They see that I am separated. They see that I am smiling again sometimes. They see that after over a year apart from my husband, I have met someone who treats me gently, someone who makes me happy, someone who reminds me what peace feels like.

And because the divorce is still in process — because the papers have been applied for but not finalized, because my husband refuses to sign — suddenly people believe they have the right to judge me.

Christians especially.

People who never lived inside my marriage.

People who never held me while I cried.

People who never watched my children witness abuse.

People who never saw the bruises, the fear, the emotional destruction, the loneliness.

Yet somehow they feel qualified to speak on my healing.

What people do not understand is this:

My marriage was over long before paperwork became involved.

It ended in the violence.

In the lies.

In the betrayal.

In the abandonment.

In the constant fear.

In the destruction of everything I tried so hard to hold together.

I stayed through fractured bones.

Stitches.

Broken windows.

Broken belongings.

Forced intimacy after saying no.

Being shoved while holding my children.

Watching the man I loved scream, rage, disappear, lie, manipulate, and slowly destroy the person I used to be.

And still…

I stayed.

I stayed because I loved him.

I stayed because I believed God hated divorce.

I stayed because I came from a broken childhood and wanted so desperately to give my children the family I never had.

I stayed because I believed if I just prayed harder, loved harder, forgave harder, maybe one day things would change.

But eventually survival becomes louder than hope.

People love to quote, “God hates divorce.”

But I wonder how many people forget that God also hates abuse.

He hates violence.

He hates cruelty.

He hates watching His daughters live in fear.

For years, I blamed myself for everything.

If I raised my voice because he broke my belongings, I believed I deserved what happened next.

If I cried because my son was being treated badly, I believed I caused the anger.

If he hurt me, I convinced myself it happened because I failed as a wife.

That is what abuse does.

It teaches you to carry guilt that never belonged to you.

And maybe the most painful part of all was realizing how many people protected him while questioning me.

His mother would tell me I was not really being abused because he lied to her.

People believed his version of events while I silently carried the trauma.

Meanwhile, I was raising children, holding together a business, trying to survive financially, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally almost completely alone.

Most months, when parents do not pay school fees, I do not even know how I am going to feed my children.

I receive almost no support.

And if I ask for help, I am made to feel like a burden.

A problem.

A con artist.

Today, I sit in my room instead of going to work.

Not because I do not care about my school.

Not because I am lazy.

Not because I have stopped fighting.

But because today, the weight of surviving feels heavy.

The thought of seeing people who speak to me like I am nothing felt unbearable today.

People treat me like I exist only to serve them. They want grace when life is hard for them. They want understanding when they cannot pay fees. But when I am exhausted, when I am emotionally drowning, when trauma catches up to me, suddenly there is no grace left for me.

Then I become weak.

Too emotional.

Not professional enough.

Not present enough.

Today I did not want to see people.

Today I felt abandoned.

Today I felt judged.

Today I felt alone.

And if that makes me a bad person in someone’s eyes, then so be it.

Because I am tired of pretending I am okay just to make other people comfortable.

What people do not see is that while I sit in my home crying tears of heartbreak, trauma, grief, exhaustion, and loss… I am still working.

Everything in my school is still arranged by me.

Every child cared for.

Every plan organized.

Every detail handled.

Even in my breaking, I am still carrying everyone else.

People see silence and assume laziness.

They see absence and assume weakness.

But sometimes people are simply trying to survive another day without completely falling apart.

And maybe that is why this hurts so deeply.

Because after everything I survived, people are not judging the abuse.

They are judging the fact that after over a year of separation, after begging someone to change for years, after nearly losing myself completely… I finally found happiness again.

They are judging me because I met someone kind before the divorce process is finalized.

As though healing has to wait for paperwork.

As though my life should remain frozen because someone refuses to sign papers.

As though I should continue suffering to make everyone else comfortable.

The truth is, I spent years dying inside that marriage.

Years.

I lost pieces of myself I will never fully get back.

I lost belongings.

Photos of myself as a baby that were destroyed forever.

Relationships.

Friends.

Financial stability.

Safety.

Peace.

I almost lost my business.

I almost lost myself.

And my children lost parts of their childhood watching things children should never see.

My oldest son still carries trauma from what happened in that house.

I still carry trauma.

When someone raises their voice, my stomach knots with fear.

When conflict starts, I become quiet because somewhere inside me, my body still believes silence keeps me safe.

Healing is not instant.

Trauma does not disappear just because time passes.

But for the first time in years, I am beginning to breathe again.

And somehow people have turned my healing into something shameful.

It amazes me how quickly Christians weaponize scripture against wounded people while ignoring the heart of Jesus completely.

Jesus defended broken women.

He sat with the hurting.

He showed compassion before condemnation.

But people today would rather judge someone surviving than understand what they survived.

The world already has enough cruelty.

What people need is kindness.

Because everyone is fighting battles nobody else can see.

Some people are grieving silently.

Some are carrying trauma privately.

Some are trying to hold businesses, children, finances, and themselves together while barely breathing under the weight of it all.

So please…

Be kind.

Speak gently to people.

You do not know what someone cried about before they saw you.

You do not know the trauma behind someone’s silence.

You do not know the courage it took for them to simply wake up that morning.

Nobody deserves to be treated like rubbish.

Not after everything they have survived.

And even after all the abuse, all the lies, all the destruction, all the heartbreak… I still ask myself something:

Do I treat my ex the way people treat me?

No.

And maybe that says more about my heart than the accusations ever could.

I am still here.

Still mothering.

Still building.

Still believing in God through heartbreak.

Still trying.

Still surviving.

One shattered piece at a time.

Comments

  1. This was so heart breaking to read. I’m sorry Collette for all you have been through. May the Lord continue to heal you and protect you with the kids! ❤️🥺

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January: When Childcare Providers Pay the Price for December Choices.

The Gift That Made Me Homesick.