The Calling I Never Saw.
There are days when I sit quietly and ask God the same question over and over again:
"Lord, what is Your purpose for my life?"
I have spent so much of my journey believing there had to be more.
More impact.
More ministry.
More success.
More influence.
Something bigger. Something visible. Something that would finally make me feel like I had “arrived.”
And yet, this Mother’s Day, while watching the sermon from Christian Revival Church Port Elizabeth, something shifted deeply inside me.
For the first time, I realized that maybe I had been overlooking one of the greatest callings God could ever entrust to a person:
Motherhood.
Not just motherhood in the ordinary sense — but motherhood as warfare.
Motherhood as ministry.
Motherhood as legacy.
Motherhood as healing generations.
As a single mom, life often feels heavy. There are moments where exhaustion whispers lies to me:
You’re not doing enough.
Your life should be bigger than this.
You should have achieved more by now.
But God reminded me that raising children is not a “lesser” purpose while we wait for a “greater” one.
This is holy work.
Every prayer whispered over my children matters.
Every moment of patience matters.
Every bedtime prayer matters.
Every sacrifice matters.
Every time I choose love over anger, healing over bitterness, and faith over fear — it matters.
Because what if my greatest assignment is not standing on a platform… but kneeling beside my children’s beds and teaching them about Jesus?
What if the greatest ministry I will ever have is raising children who know how to love God, love people, and walk in freedom?
Maybe purpose is not always found in crowds applauding you.
Maybe sometimes purpose is found in packed lunchboxes, bedtime stories, tears wiped away, school runs, discipline, prayers, and showing up every single day when nobody sees how hard it is.
I began to think about generational curses.
The chains of addiction.
The cycles of abuse.
The brokenness passed from one generation to the next.
And suddenly I realized something powerful:
Every time a mother chooses healing, the bloodline changes.
Every time a mother chooses God, the atmosphere of a home changes.
Every time a mother refuses to repeat the pain she came from, generations after her are blessed.
I may not be able to rewrite my childhood.
I may not erase the wounds I carry.
But through God, I can make sure those wounds do not become my children’s inheritance.
That is purpose.
To raise children who feel safe.
To raise children who know they are loved.
To raise children who know God as Father — not through fear, but through grace and truth.
The world teaches us that significance comes through fame, money, success, or status.
But Heaven measures differently.
Heaven sees the mother crying in the bathroom so her children won’t see her breaking.
Heaven sees the exhausted woman still praying over her home at midnight.
Heaven sees the single mom carrying responsibilities that were never meant to be carried alone.
And Heaven calls her faithful.
This Mother’s Day, I realized something beautiful:
I do not need a massive platform to live a life of purpose.
If I can raise children who love Jesus…
If I can break chains that held my family captive for generations…
If I can teach my children that they are chosen, worthy, and deeply loved by God…
Then I have already lived a powerful life.
Maybe the “more” I was searching for was right in front of me all along.
Maybe purpose was never somewhere far away.
Maybe purpose has been calling me “Mom.”
This was so beautiful and powerful to read! Indeed motherhood is the greatest and most highest calling! ❤️🙌🏿
ReplyDeleteThis was powerful and exactly what i needed today. Beautiful Collette
ReplyDelete