Which voice am I listening to?


This morning I asked God two questions.
“What is Your purpose for my life?”
“What is Your purpose for marriage?”
I didn’t expect an answer so quickly.
But He took me to Book of Proverbs 9.

Two women.
Two voices.
Two invitations.

Lady Wisdom stands and calls people to life.

The woman of folly sits at the door and calls people to secrecy.

Both are loud.
Both are persuasive.
But only one leads to life.
And suddenly… I knew.
I haven’t been lost.
I haven’t been abandoned.
I’ve just been listening to the wrong voice.

When Survival Sounds Like Love

Folly doesn’t always look rebellious.
Sometimes she looks wounded.
Sometimes she looks lonely.
Sometimes she sounds like this:
“You don’t want to be alone.”
“Maybe he will change.”
“At least someone wants you.”
“This will fix the ache.”
Folly promises quick comfort.
Wisdom builds slow security.
I realized something painful but freeing:
Some of my choices with men were not rooted in purpose — they were rooted in pain.

That doesn’t make me evil.
It makes me unhealed in places.
There is a difference.

God’s Purpose Is Not Chaos

If I ask God His purpose for my life, would it look like confusion?
If I ask Him His design for marriage, would it feel unsafe?
No.

Marriage, in its original design, reflects covenant, protection, and Christ-like love (Ephesians 5). It was never meant to be a place of fear, addiction, or instability.

Purpose does not pull you away from peace.
Purpose does not compete with your children’s safety.
Purpose does not require you to abandon wisdom.

The Voice Check

Proverbs 9 showed me something sobering:

The woman of folly is loud.
So is trauma.
So is loneliness.
So is the fear of starting over.

But wisdom also calls.
Wisdom says:
“Guard your heart.”
“Wait.”
“Heal.”
“Trust Me.”

This morning I realized I had been asking God for direction while still entertaining the voice that feeds my wounds.
No more.
This Is Not Condemnation
There is no shame here.
Conviction says, “Come higher.”
Shame says, “You are hopeless.”
God never shamed me in that chapter.
He simply showed me the fork in the road.
And I understood.

I am not the woman of folly.
But I have listened to her before.
Today I choose Wisdom.

A Prayer

Lord,
Silence every voice in me that is rooted in fear, rejection, or desperation.
Teach me to recognize Your tone.
If it is not peace, it is not You.
If it is not steady, it is not You.
If it does not protect my children and my calling, it is not You.
Align my heart with Wisdom.
Even if it is slower.
Even if it is lonelier.
Even if it requires pruning.
I choose life.
Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Christians Judge the Woman Who Survived.

January: When Childcare Providers Pay the Price for December Choices.

The Gift That Made Me Homesick.