Welcome to my journey:Faith, Motherhood and the Struggle of being Self-employed

There are days when I wake up and wonder how I will make it through. The weight of responsibility presses on my chest before I even open my eyes. Running a private Educare, being self-employed, raising my children, and trying to survive when school fees go unpaid—it's a constant battle. And yet, here I am. Still standing. Still fighting. Still trusting in God to make a way where there seems to be none.


Why I Started This Blog


I started this blog because I know I am not alone. There are other mothers out there who are carrying the same heavy burdens—mothers who are running businesses, caring for children, and wondering how they will put food on the table when income is uncertain. There are women who are sick, exhausted, and yet still have to keep going because no one else will pick up the pieces for them.


I want this blog to be a place of honesty, faith, and encouragement. A space where we can talk about the realities of struggling financially, feeling isolated, and leaning on God when we have nothing else.


The Reality of Self-Employment and Motherhood


Being self-employed is often painted as freedom—no boss, no rules, unlimited income potential. But the reality is much harsher. When parents don’t pay school fees, my business suffers. When my business suffers, my family suffers. There are days when I stare at empty cupboards, praying for God’s provision because there is no paycheck coming at the end of the month.


Running an Educare means showing up, no matter how sick or exhausted I am. There are no sick days, no relief. The children need me, my own kids need me, and I often feel like there is nothing left of me to give. But I get up anyway because I have to.


Faith: My Only Anchor


When there is no family to lean on, no government help for white-owned businesses, and no financial security, I lean on God. I have seen Him move in impossible situations. I have seen Him provide when I had nothing. I have felt His strength when I was too weak to stand. And I know that He is with me in this struggle.


Psalm 46:1 says, "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." That is the verse I hold onto when I feel like I can’t go on. If you are reading this and you are struggling, I want you to know that you are not alone. God sees you. He knows your pain. And He will carry you through.


What You Can Expect from This Blog


This is just the beginning of my story. Here, I will share:


My personal experiences as a self-employed mother


The challenges of running a business while raising children


The moments of deep faith and the struggles with doubt


Encouragement for those who feel like they can’t keep going


Practical ways to hold onto hope when life is hard



I invite you to walk this journey with me. Share your thoughts, your experiences, and your prayers. Let’s build a community of support, faith, and resilience.


If this post resonates with you, leave a comment or share it with someone who needs encouragement. Together, we can lift each other up.


With faith and love

Collette Holmes




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Christians Judge the Woman Who Survived.

January: When Childcare Providers Pay the Price for December Choices.

The Gift That Made Me Homesick.