The Girl I Prayed for: Navigating Motherhood with my only Daughter

From the moment I found out I was going to be a mother, my heart swelled with anticipation and love. I prayed for a daughter—someone to share in the beauty of womanhood, someone who would look up to me and I could guide through life’s challenges. My only daughter after 3 sons and 2 miscarriages, other than my stepdaughter, is the answer to that prayer, and every day with her is a gift.

But motherhood, as anyone with young children knows, is full of unexpected twists. While I am beyond grateful for my daughter, it hasn’t been without its challenges. She’s had developmental delays, moments when I’ve wondered if I could ever truly catch up with all that she needs. I’ve spent countless hours researching, reaching out to specialists, and praying over her. Every step of her journey has been a mix of joy and difficulty, but I’ve learned that every struggle brings us closer.

Recently, though, we’ve faced a new challenge: separation anxiety. I knew it was coming, but it doesn’t make it any easier. Every time I try to step away, even for a few minutes, she clings to me with a desperation that tugs at my heart. I’ve always known that being a mom means putting your child’s needs first, but it feels overwhelming at times. At night, when I should be resting, I’m awake, comforting her, holding her until she feels secure enough to sleep. And in the middle of it all, my toddler has a habit of kicking my husband and me out of bed, claiming it for themselves, leaving me with no space to breathe.

In the early morning hours, when the world is still quiet, I find myself wrestling with exhaustion. The nights are long, and the demands are constant. My baby girl, as precious as she is, expects all my attention, every ounce of my energy, and there are days when I feel like I have nothing left to give. I want to be there for her, to soothe her fears, to be the mom she needs. But sometimes, I just want a moment of peace, a few minutes to breathe without being needed.

I’ve realized, though, that in these moments, I’m learning something invaluable: how to surrender. I’ve had to let go of the idea that I can be everything all at once, that I can always meet every need perfectly. As much as I want to be the perfect mother to my daughter, I’ve learned that it’s okay not to have it all figured out. My heart breaks when I can’t soothe her fears instantly or when I need space to recharge, but I’m learning to trust that my love for her is enough—even in the messy, imperfect moments.

I know this stage is temporary. The separation anxiety will eventually pass, and the developmental delays will give way to new milestones. But in the meantime, I remind myself to be patient with you myself. I’m doing my best, and that’s enough. There’s beauty in the struggle, in the sleepless nights, in the moments of deep connection with my daughter. And I know that my prayers, the ones I whispered over her when I first dreamed of her, are still being answered, one step at a time.

If you’re a mother struggling with your child’s needs, whether it's separation anxiety or developmental challenges, know that you are not alone. This journey is tough, and it’s okay to feel overwhelmed. What matters most is that we show up for our children, even when we feel we have nothing left to give. Your love is more than enough, and God sees the effort you put in every single day.




Comments

  1. What a absolute miracle indeed. She has brought you such happiness

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When Christians Judge the Woman Who Survived.

January: When Childcare Providers Pay the Price for December Choices.

The Gift That Made Me Homesick.